Warm Kale Salad
Yield: 1 cup vinaigrette, serves 4 to 6
Equipment Needed: blender, oven, large pan with lid
We heard salads were tired of being cold all the time, so we warmed them up with a little love, kindness and a whole lotta Stallion. This mountain of bright green, steamed kale loaded up with seared sausage, crunchy pepitas, roasted butternut squash and green apple will make you smile just like those women in the “woman with salad” stock photos (Google it). Except your smile will be even bigger, because protein. Enough said. Sidenote: Our homemade vinaigrette is easy to make and use on *everything*, but if you’ve got a favorite go-to dressing, go for it!
- 12 oz. The Stallion, cubed
- ½ medium shallot, small dice
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 bunches kale, washed, rinsed, and spun
- ½ butternut squash, medium dice
- 1 green apple, medium dice
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 3 oz soft vegan cheese – We used Miyoko’s Garlic and Herb
- ½ medium shallot – small dice
- 1 clove garlic – sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
Garnish: apple, pepitas, goat cheese
The How To
- Peel, deseed, and dice butternut squash. Coat in olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
- In a blender add shallot, garlic, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, dijon mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth on low. Crank blender to medium high and slowly add olive oil. Blend on high until oil is emulsified.
- In a large pan fry sausage on medium high until edges are crispy. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan along with shallot and garlic, medium heat. Fill pan with kale and salt and pepper to taste. Add splash of water or stock, cover for 60 seconds. Kale should be bright green in color.
- Plate kale. Top with roasted butternut squash, apple, pepitas, sausage, cheese crumbles, and vinaigrette.