Sweet Potato Pot Pie
Makes (8) ramekins or (1) 9” pie
Recipe provided by: @thecuriouschickpea
This sweet potato pot pie is the perfect Meatless Monday recipe. It has the creamiest and most potato-laden filling with both sweet and regular potatoes. With bursts of sweet peas and chewy morsels of Comrade Cluck plant meat smothered in savory, herbed goodness.
You can divvy the stew up into individual ramekins for the cutest of presentations or put it in a single 9” cast iron or pie dish for a family style meal. A puff pastry topping is both easy and delicious.
- 2 ½ cups broth
- ½ cup cashews
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 10oz Comrade Cluck
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup ½-inch diced sweet potato
- ¾ cups ½-inch diced Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- vegan puff pastry
The How To
- Defrost puff pastry and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Blend cashews and broth until creamy, set aside.
- Sauté the Comrade Cluck strips in a pan with 1 teaspoon of oil over medium heat until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the onion, sweet & regular potatoes, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 min. Turn down heat if it starts to brown. Sprinkle over the flour, thyme, sage, rosemary, salt, & black pepper and cook for 1 min.
- Add the Comrade Cluck, the cashew-broth cream, and frozen peas and let cook until it thickens to a gravy, about 5 min. Add water to thin if necessary.
- Transfer the stew to individual ramekins or a 9” cast iron or pie dish. Roll out the puff pastry to about a 9” x 15” rectangle and cut out circles to cover the ramekins or a large one to cover a pie. Place over center of stew and cut slits to vent.
- Bake on a tray at 425ºF for 15 minutes or until the stew is bubbling and the puff pastry is golden. Serve warm.