Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. It’s got a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? Gotta love alliteration. Have some fall fun with this magical oblong squash by excavating its insides and filling it with all the wonderful things. And don’t forget the cashew cheese – totally takes it to the next level!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions chopped (white and green parts)
- 1-15 ounce can cooked blacked beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (extra for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cashew Cheese Sauce (recipe follows)
CASHEW CHEESE SAUCE
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked 30 minutes
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise from stem to base and remove seeds and membranes
- Place halves cut side down on a baking tray and bake for 50 minutes until flesh is tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Remove strands by using a fork to pull on the flesh. Set aside and reserve squash bowls. Heat oil in deep skillet and sauté chorizo until browned, add onion and cook until soft
- Add garlic, bell pepper, green onions and cook stirring for 2 minutes. Add black beans, corn, cumin, cilantro, sea salt, cayenne pepper, stir to combine and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the squash strands stirring until fully combined. Fill squash bowls with mixture and top with cashew cheese sauce.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and dive in!
- Place ingredients ingredients in a high speed blender and process into oblivion!
- Pour sauce in a medium saucepan and heat on medium-high heat until thickened stirring with a wire whisk.