Cluckin’ Short Ribs
No bones about it. This recipe is for tender, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth amazing short-ribs. Think it takes a long time and a lot of attention to make tender & delicious ribs like these? Wrong! With a crock pot (we love them!) putting this meal together gets seriously simple. But you can totally still tell your friends that you slaved over the stove for hours. We won’t tell.
- 1 package Comrade Cluck ‘No Chicken’
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 bulb garlic (really)
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 english cucumber, shaved lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
- 3 carrots, shaved lengthwise with a vegetable peeler
SERVE IT UP
- cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- lime wedges
- Heat up a heavy pan or cast iron skillet on med-high and add oil.
- When the oil is hot, crumble ‘No Chicken’ into the pan, spread evenly and leave without stirring 1-2 minutes until Plant Meat begins to brown. Stir, and repeat until well seared but not burned. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk together brown sugar, hoisin, chili garlic sauce, mustard and 1/2 cup water in the bottom of crockpot. Add separated and peeled garlic clove & ginger.
- Add seared ‘No-Chicken’ to the crockpot and stir well to coat with sauce.
- Set crockpot to low and heat for 2-4 hours, checking halfway through and adding more water if sauce gets too think.
- While crockpot works its magic, go ahead and make some quick pickles.
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce together in a small bowl. Add shaved vegetables, pressing them down to coat in pickling brine. Refrigerate while your ribs turn into amazingly tender morsels.
- To serve, spoon short ribs & sauce over cooked rice and top with a smattering of cilantro & scallion. Add a small pile of your pickled veg and a wedge of lime on the side.