Serious Potato Skins
If you’re looking for a recipe that’s going to impress your most non-veg friend, this is it! These ‘tato skins are “slap ya mama” good…if we do say so ourselves. Don’t actually slap your mother, that’s rude. But for real, prep the skins ahead of time, reserve the potato guts for some quick mashed potatoes, and throw these bad boys together right before guests arrive. Simple, no fuss, damn delicious appetizers are served.
- 10 oz. Chorizo, crumbled
- 8 russet potatoes
- 2 cups vegan cheese, shredded (We used Follow Your Heart Cheddar & Mozz)
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
The How To
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Pierce potatoes several times with fork then place them directly on the oven rack and bake them for about 50 minutes, or until they’re easily pierced with a knife.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool. Set the oven to broil.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, leaving about a 1/4-inch ring around each potato. (Reserve flesh for another use, such as mashed potatoes).
- Brush both sides of the potato skins with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Position the skins, skin side up, on a cookie sheet. Broil for 2 minutes, flip, then broil an additional 2 minutes. (Watch the skins carefully to ensure they don’t burn.) Remove the skins from the oven.
- Sauté the chorizo in oil in a large, non-stick frying pan set over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to portion out the cooked chorizo into the prepared potato skins. Top each potato skin with cheese and broil for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted.
- Remove the potato skins from the oven and garnish with sour cream and chopped chives.