Sausage Zucchini Boats
The only thing better than straight up veggies are veggies stuffed with Plant Meat. This is great recipe if you’re looking for a creative way to utilize your home-grown summer squash, or grab some from the store if you’re not lucky enough to possess a green thumb. While veg forward, don’t think you’re going to walk away hungry, all that sausage topped with basil crema is going to hit on all those italian cravings you know you’ve been having.
- 3 links – The Stallion, crumbled
- 3 zucchini
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream
- 1 oz fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, small dice
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp red chile flakes
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
The How To
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Halve the zucchinis lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop the seeds out to form boats. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and coat with 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast the zucchini until just tender, about 10 to 14 minutes.
- Mix the sour cream with ½ chopped basil. Add a pinch of salt, and 1 tbsp olive oil to the bowl. Stir the basil crema just 2 to 3 times – the oil shouldn’t mix in completely.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once hot, add the crumbled sausage and cook, tossing occasionally, until crispy and well-browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the minced shallot, minced garlic, dried oregano, and as many of the red chile flakes as you’d like. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chopped tomato and cook until hot, about 1 minute more.
- Add the panko breadcrumbs to the skillet and season well with salt and pepper. Flip the zucchini on the baking sheet. Using your hands, loosely “stuff” them with the sausage stuffing. Place in the oven to bake until lightly browned on top, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sauce plates with basil crema and place boats on top. Garnish with remaining basil.