Sausage Grit Bowl
Yield: Serves 4
Equipment Needed: medium pot and large skillet with lid
If you know us at all by now, you know we live in the South. As classic and down-home as Southern food gets, we love how easily we can transform so many traditional dishes into a vegan-friendly, plant-based experience. These grits are no different, and will become a staple brunch dish for you. Actually, why stop at brunch? A big bowl of warm, cheesy, sausage-y grits makes this recipe one we aspire to cozy up to no matter the time of day.
- 12 oz. The Stallion, medallion cut
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 32 oz. vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes – optional
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 bell peppers – julienned, any color
- 1 medium onion – julienned
- 1 bunch kale – washed, rinsed, and spun
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
Garnish: green onion
The How To
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat bring stock, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, add grits, stirring frequently for 20 minutes.
- Once liquid is fully absorbed and grits are soft, finish with remaining butter, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Saute peppers and onions over medium high heat until onions are translucent. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan.
- Add more oil to the same pan, sear sausage over high heat on both sides until edges are crispy. Set aside.
- Over medium heat add garlic to same pan. Fill pan with kale, salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze with splash of stock or water and cover pan with lid, remove from heat after 60 seconds. Kale should be bright green.
- Combine grits, kale, peppers, and sausage. Garnish with green onion.