BBQ ‘Pork’ Bao Buns
Makes 10-12 steamed buns
Aw, maaaaan. We had no idea it was this easy to make bomb-ass bao buns filled with smokey BBQ pulled ‘pork’. For some reason we always thought these soft, tangy, pillowy little white pockets of goodness could only be attained through some arduous process. Leave it to Blue Finch Plates to break it all down for us and make us look like the fool for not whipping these up sooner.
- 370 grams All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Warm Water
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp Active Yeast
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Sesame Oil, for brushing
- One package of Pit Boss Pulled ‘Pork’ BBQ
The How To
- Put the warm water in a measuring cup & add sugar. Stir until sugar has dissolved, then add yeast. Stir to mix.
- Set aside for 10-15 minutes or until the yeast mixture is frothy.
- Place flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well. Pour in yeast mixture and vegetable oil.
- Mix until everything is combined, you will have to switch to using your hands. Knead the dough for about 10 to 13 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with saran wrap. Set aside in a warm place for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 2 portions.
- Roll each piece into logs and then cut each log into 5 to 6 pieces.
- Gather the dough into round balls, then let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- Roll each piece of dough out into 4 ½ to 5-inch circles. Brush the surface with sesame oil and fold the dough in half. Place dough on parchment paper and place in steamer.
- Set the steamer on high heat and steam buns over boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Load each little bun up with some Pit Boss and marvel in all of its glory!!