‘No Chicken’ and Waffle Sandwich
What can we say about this ‘No Chicken’ and Waffles with Comrade Cluck? I guess we were feelin’ soulful. Few things bring us as much joy as making vegan versions of traditional dishes using entirely plant-based ingredients, so when we saw Blue Finch Plates fried up our vegan chicken and sandwiched it between freaking waffles, we were instantly smitten. And we gotta admit, this recipe is on point!
PRO TIP: Use mini waffles to turn these into perfect sliders for a party!
- 1 package of No Evil Foods Comrade Cluck ‘No Chicken’
- Frozen Waffles (8-12 waffles)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Pickled Jalapeños (optional, but highly recommended!)
- 1-2 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 2 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Chickpea Flour
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 2/3 Cup Non-Dairy Milk
MAPLE DIJON DRESSING
- 3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Pink Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
The How To
- In a small bowl mix together Dijon, maple syrup, salt & pepper. Whisk well and set aside.
- Slice your tomato and get your pickled jalapeños and romaine at the ready.
- In a medium bowl mix together all batter ingredients. It’s going to look a bit like pancake batter.
- In a small, deep saucepan heat 2 cups of vegetable oil. If your oil level is too high, transfer to a larger saucepan. (This oil will get *very* hot. Overcrowding or spilling oil can be dangerous!)
- Place 1/3 cups of panko breadcrumbs into a shallow dish and place it near the batter.
- Take larger chunks of Comrade Cluck, dip into batter, then coat in the panko.
- Carefully drop battered ‘No Chicken’ into the hot oil. Only place 3-4 pieces into the oil at a time, making sure not to overcrowd.
- Once golden brown, place on a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- After frying all the bigger pieces of ‘No Chicken’, place the smaller bits into the batter and squeeze them together with your hands. The batter will help create a larger chunk that you can then dip into the panko. Squeeze again to combine before gently dropping it in the oil. Continue until all your smaller pieces have been made into larger bites.
- At this point, get those waffles toasting.
- It’s assembly time! Place a toasted waffle on a cutting board. Stack romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and jalapeños on top. Next pile on your fried Comrade Cluck pieces and then drizzle with dressing. Place second waffle on top…open up reeeeeal wide and ENJOY!