- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 link of El Zapatista, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 large white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 4 cups kale, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- pinch crushed red pepper
- 1/4 finely chopped parsley
- 6 tbsp minced fresh mint
- small loaf of crusty bread
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil and add torn chorizo. Fry until heated through and crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook onions in oil from chorizo, adding more if necessary for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and diced potatoes and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the stock and kale and bring the liquid up to a boil.
- Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, and crushed red pepper.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. (about 30 minutes)
- Stir in parsley, mint and chorizo.
- Ladle into large bowls and serve with crusty bread.